Latest posts by Alvin Bryan (see all)
- Millionaire Tyupkin Malware ATM Hackers May Come to US, India After Hitting Europe - October 23, 2014
- BitLicense Will Allow Bitcoin Spying in New York - October 22, 2014
- Australians are Fighting Data Retention Laws - October 22, 2014
Netflix is one of those popular sites that get a lot of expats, vacationers and overseas workers all frustrated. There’s a lot of content that Netflix is not contracted to show outside the US, so it’s a big disappointment. But there’s an easy fix for all you exasperated PS3 and Netflix enthusiasts. A PS3 VPN can get you back in and watching your favorite films in a quick minute.
VPN and Proxy Access
What you want most of all when you’re out of the country is to have a little taste of home. Most often, this comes in the form of familiar flicks, because there’s nothing like a good movie to make it feel just like home. With a VPN, you can get a secure US IP address that can grant you access to Netflix. It will be as if you were logging in from within the country, and you will be safe from any attempts to check your locations. Proxy servers can also get you a US IP, but proxies can be tracked down and blocked anytime. This will connect your account with invalid access and could get you into trouble. A VPN is the safe solution. Especially if you are in a country that has strict censorship laws, you want to make sure you remain anonymous. A VPN will keep your connection securely hidden.
One problem for travelers is that they can’t bring their desktops with them. Sometimes even a laptop is too bulky to bother with on the road. With a good VPN provider, you can get access to Netflix on your PS3. PS3 Netflix viewing is a great solution for mobile access. It is especially convenient for people who need to travel light but don’t want to give up their TV shows. With PS3 Netflix access, you just carry the small device and hook it up to a larger screen when you reach your destination. With a good VPN app, you can connect to a fast US server quickly and easily. VPN mobile technology has improved significantly over the past few years, and the apps have gotten so much easier to use. With the most popular providers, a secure connection is just a click or two away.
Set Up Your PS3 VPN
To set your PS3 up to connect through a VPN on Windows, you need to do simple configuration on the Internet Connection Settings.
- Before you connect your PS3 to the computer, open the Network and Sharing Center and click on “Change Adaptor Settings”.
- For a wireless connection, select “Status” then click on “Details” and write down the TCP/IPv4 address.
- Now you set up a shared connection. Right click on “Local Area Network” and click “Properties”.
- Double click “Internet Protocol Version 4″, check the box next to “Use the following IP Address”, and enter an IP in the range 192.168.0.x. (This is a private IP from the DHCP IP Pool). If you have two or more computers/devices, choose an IP from 192.168.X.100 to 192.168.X.200. This will set your computer to have a static IP address.
- Under “Subnet Mask”, put in 255.255.255.0 and click OK.
- Back in the Network & Sharing Center, right click on VPN and choose Main Sharing.
- Check the box next to “Allow other networks to connect”.
- Go to “Home Networking Connections” at the top of the screen and choose either “Local Area Connection” or “PS3″ then click OK and close everything.
- Connect your computer to the VPN then connect your PS3 to the computer with the crossover cable.
- Your PS3 can now connect to the Internet through the computer
For Mac users, here are the steps:
- Go to System Preferences and select “Sharing”, then “Internet Sharing”.
- Select the VPN to share from the drop down list and what interface to share the VPN to (i.e. Ethernet).
- Check the box on “Internet Sharing” and check if its active by looking for a green icon and the status reading “On”.
- Click on Ethernet then the Configure IPv4 drop down. Instead of DHCP, select manual and put in an IP address in the range 192.168.0.x. (This is a private IP from the DHCP IP Pool). Then put in the subnet mask 255.255.255.0.
- Connect your PS3 to the LAN/Ethernet port of your MAC and put in IP 192.168.25.2, subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and default gateway 192.168.25.1 in PS3.
- Your PS3 is now connected through your VPN to the Internet.
Additional VPN Benefits
A VPN can also get you added benefits like data security. Especially when you’re traveling, internet is most available to you at public hotspots like at your hotel, resort, or cafes and restaurants. This can be very dangerous, especially if you like to browse a lot. WiFi hotspots are very easy to crack, and are monitored by many hackers. These hackers go after any type of personal data they can find to use in developing clever schemes to get more and more from you until they hit the jackpot. Just a name, a favorite website and maybe your email address can get them deep into your systems and even allow them control over all your connected devices and eventually into your credit cards and bank account. A VPN will route all your data to a server where the threats are eliminated before they can get close to you.